Saturday, July 30, 2011

Zucchini Bread and Drinks, what's not to like?

Salon has a good article about book clubs.  Really, I had no idea that they went back so far; I don't suppose I should actually be surprised that there were millions of book club members in the 40s, but I am.  I never assumed people got together in someone's living room back then for anything like a book group.  Bridge, maybe, but a book club, no.  I'm fascinated to discover that W. H. Auden and  Jacques Barzun were masterminding the selections of such books.  Barzun (still alive at 103!) wrote a wonderful book that made me feel like I was the stupidest person on the planet the whole time I was reading it; the breadth of his erudition is stunning, and to picture him selecting book club editions is jarring to my sensibilities.  It was a different age.

No comments:

Post a Comment