Tuesday, August 2, 2011

What would your list be?

10 books you should have read in high school, really should have read, I mean, not just read because they made you, or avoided because they were trying to make you.  Here's one list with a local input from Misha Stone, once one of my coworkers back in the day.  But what books that we all should have read do you think we really should read?  I actually go along pretty well with this list; I'd take away Pride and Prejudice and Siddharta, and add in Go Tell It On The Mountain and Red Badge of Courage, maybe, and then I'd have ten.  There could be twenty or thirty, or fifty, though.  What books should we all have read?

2 comments:

  1. Catcher in the Rye should have been on the approved reading list at my high school, but it wasn't. Instead, it was hidden on a shelf underneath the checkout desk in the library - something that might be referred to as "soft censorship." I only knew it was there because I volunteered during a free period. I read it as fast as I could and never thought of fiction in the same way again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. While I can't agree with hiding the book away (or pretty much hiding any book away unless you're concerned it'll be stolen), I think that maybe the impact of reading it must have been greater because it was forbidden. So that's kind of cool.

    ReplyDelete