Monday, August 22, 2011

Daily Vocabulary

garnish: to provide something with ornamentation; in food, to add something that provides flavor or decorative color; legally, to take a portion of wages to satisfy a debt. Mainly most of us run into the food based version, and that's as it should be. Food is around us all the time. The legal one is mentioned on TV a lot, but I've not really seen it happen much in life, and I'm happy with that. I don't like the idea that people I know are losing money due to legal problems. And the first definition: ornamenting something. I don't think I've actually heard that version. The food variant obviously comes from that one, but has in fact seemingly taken it over entirely. Poor definitions, taken over by other meanings with time.

No comments:

Post a Comment